Classes of hosting services
A hosting service applies to keeping and/or sharing particular web content on a web server managed by a web hosting company. There are different groups of hosting services utilized for different purposes, so let's examine these. In this way, you can choose what you need, based on whether you wish to run a web site, e-mails, or to share files with comrades and associates.
- File hosting: a solution furnished by various vendors, which permits you to share large files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its single goal is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file hosting packages are often supported by showing advertisements by the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a given amount of time to perceive them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you get a paid file hosting account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limitation when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a completely amiss interpretation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would share the workload between autonomous hosts of hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving various hosting services (mail, storage space, statistics, DNS, databases, web space hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is merely a kind of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; certain corporations provide a hosting service for images exclusively. This hosting brand is good if you wish to share a great amount of pictures with pals or acquaintances since the service is usually free of cost. You will get a randomly generated link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to handling your mail aliases. Some distributors provide webspace hosting services for web sites, but do not provide an e-mail hosting service. If you want to launch an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to keep a web site, then the email hosting solution is what you want. You can create electronic mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video, or you can embed the video clip in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video file generates a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a few video clips and a few hundred web page viewers, you may have trouble with your website hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will permit you to manage as many video files as you would like without worrying about system supplies.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you require if you would like to have a site. To some extent, it involves all of the aforementioned hosting groups since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can keep databases and email addresses, upload videos, etc. At Prowse Ideas, for example, you can explore web hosting and dedicated web server hosting packages that allow you to get all of the abovementioned solutions in a single place. There may be restrictions based on the form of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your site hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the common e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are made for specific content only.